Thursday 15 October 2009

An introduction

I started listening to music in 1949, bought my first record in 1952, made a living from music (without having any musical talent of my own) from 1967-1998 and now, having retired from paid employment these past 11 years, still wonder at the lucky path down which life has led me.

Fairly computer literate at this advancing age, Google searches and other media prompts find me reading blogs with gradually increasing interest. My younger son has found a niche trying to make sense of a cartoon in The Sun - he calls it "George & Lynne Explained - because someone has to" (Google it) and it's brilliant! "The Word" magazine send weekly emails of online items to amuse its subscribers, and many turn out to be blogs.

Until now, I've dismissed this pastime as something for people with too much time and an unsatisfied ego, but maybe it's time to have a go, see if I enjoy what I've written and, in the fullness of time, maybe discover if there are others who share the thoughts, memories, observations.

A few things you may need to know from the start. Unlike so many who spent their lives making other people famous, I have never felt envy, never felt I could do it better, never wanted attention. In fact, I came up with a phrase just yesterday while enjoying great music from students at an extraordinary secondary school in Croydon. "I am the perfect audience."

I am a Cancerian and while remaining adamant that astrology is nonsense, I do recognise traits. I cry a lot - much more often with joy at the achievement and creativity of others than with sorrow; I have a largely populist taste in the arts, though my music loves, albeit embracing a curiously large number of singers beloved with young teenage girls, are also pretty esoteric as an hour with my i-Pod would demonstrate. I love "Coronation Street", Alan Bennett, Alexander McCall Smith, Sandra Bullock, "Friends", "Flight of the Conchords", Victoria Wood, "Who Do You Think You Are", X Factor, The Choir and all other programmes where ordinary people do extraordinary things.

So that will do for a start - already you'll either me with me or have written me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment